Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I failed a roadside breath test in Sydney, Australia and had

Customer Question

I failed a roadside breath test in Sydney, Australia and had my license immediately suspended. Went to court and received a suspension of my driving licence for 7 months which finished April 2, 2016, then received my full licence back. I have been asked for employment purposes if I have been convicted of any criminal crime in the last 10 years. Does DUI count as a criminal conviction? Thanks Michelle
JA: You're dealing with a tough issue. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. I know the lawyer has information that can help. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not about this particular question.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The employer as asked if I would allow them to conduct a Police Check in consideration of my employment. Due to start work on Wednesday 8 April, 2016
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

It is not a criminal offence and will not appear on your criminal record. It only appears on your traffic record.

If they undertake a police check on all convictions it will show up because they check both records.

Even though it is not a criminal offence you should disclose that you were charged with DUI.

It should not have any impact on your job application.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards

Good Afternoon,