Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Can an RTO - learning education institute ask that a student

Customer Question

Hi there!
Can an RTO - learning education institute ask that a student must arrive at a certain time every day even if that student is also a full time carer of young kids? Do reasonable adjustments have to be made to students with dependents? And:))
Should an RTO be set up with specific services of support to assist students with kids?
I am at a college that is asking that I consider leaving a very expensive course ( no refund offered of course) as I am the only one who is a parent and the rest are not and heaps heaps younger than me - I am just a pain to them that I drop kids off in the morning and need an extra 10-15 to park. The RTO literally is trying to oust me out. I am also have up to postgrad quals I am serious about study and quite a good study - that isn't at all relevant to this RTO. Lastly, they cost a fortune and promised state of the art new facilities as this is their first year - not a chance just a basement w no window and 14 students on top of each other and the trainer. We are not miners.. This is apparently sex discrim articles 5,20,21? Should I file w human rights? Go to sex commissioner. They are reputable institute in heart if sydney.
Many thanks!
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 5 months ago.

Which state are you in?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi there!
I am in NSW
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you there I can't call apologies
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Can I ask what does RTO stand for?

When you enrolled what were the terms and condition of the institute about attendance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,
Thanks for getting back.
An RTO is a registered training organisation.
When I enrolled the hours had already changed and extended beyond preciously advertised. I had asked about leaving early prior to enrolment to work to support my family and they completely said no. So the terms and conditions don't really expand other than on each student must be on time. Every time. That said at least 80% of this select group have had absentees although I have not and they are find with all that. I really have been told it appears I have competing responsibilities and I should go home and be a parent. This was suggested to me on the day of enrolment now after time has passed.
Sorry not helpful in respespobse to your question.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
previously not preciously
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a vocational education course offered in an higher education institute that is not a university it is called an institute
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there any further answer thanks
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning

So at enrolment you were told that you could not leave early?

Do you have anything in the paperwork you have about attendances and your requirements?