Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I have been offered a settlement on a $2,800 debt to pay

Customer Question

Hey Pearl I have been offered a settlement on a $2,800 debt to pay just $700 of the amount to settle the account. to the same people at Pioneer Credit mentioned in another enquiry. I am wandering why they are so desperate to settle.. is it because I have already paid 4k over and above the original amount of 3k owing? over 7 years of paying off .. thanks sean
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: NSW
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: no.. its just taken A LONG TIME. Like I said its been over 5 years.. isn't there a certain statute of Limitations or something? she said something about me being in communcation after the 5 years made it still valid.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 4 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I am not sure what you are asking.

What was the debt for? Were you making the correct payments?

Do you dispute the amount they are saying you owe?

Are they offering you a document to sign that clearly says that your debt is wiped for $700.00