Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Sean, After a period of absence my treating doctor has

Customer Question

After a period of absence for unfit for work my treating doctor has provided a fitness for work certificate saying I was fit for work from 28 April (certificate dated 25 May 2016). My employer has asked that I be assessed by an independent assessor but is saying they will only pay me during the stand down period from the date of my specialists certificate (not the date on the certificate that my specialist has deemed me fit for work). My employer has also said that their obligation to pay me during stand down only extends to the date they organise a meeting to discuss the independent assessors report.
If you could help that would be great.
Many thanks
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

They have a right to request you be further assessed and this is usually for workers compensation purposes.

Their obligation comes under your agreement with them. Does it allow for you to be stood down with pay?