Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I made a claim Glass used in the construction of our house

Customer Question

I made a claim for defective Glass used in the construction of our house and QBCC said it is a cosmetic fault and not a defect.
There is a sunblock film on the glass which is shrinking and bubbling. The house is only 6 years old.
Also I have cracks evertwhere over the driveway and because they are not 4mm (yet) it is not classified a defect, although the inspector said it was a terrible job and I should consider civil action.
Thanks
***** *****
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Did you have a report about it from an expert? It sounds more than a cosmetic fault.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I dont have a report and it is cosmetic but an expensive one to rectify
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.
Good AfternoonIf it s bubbling and cracks appear it appears that it has not ben properly manufactured and it is not fit for the purpose. Are you saying it is cosmetic because the QBCC has said it or other glass manufacturers have said it?If you can get an independent glacier to give you a report about it then you can use that and sue for the cost of replacing. But without it the court will not be able to make a decision. It appears that it is faulty and the law is on your side. But you need a reportHere is what the law says https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The QBCC said it was cosmetic.
I will get a report from a glacier.
What about the Driveway ?Do you want me to send some Pictures.
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.
Good AfternoonThe driveway again you need a report from a concreter or builder to confirm if it is cosmetic or structural. Cracks are not uncommon but if it was not played correctly it may be more than that and structural. In thesis cases you always need a detailed report from an expert to advise if they are matters that you can claim on or not. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.