Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Suncorp metway has notified me of a reversal on a credit

Customer Question

Hi. Suncorp metway has notified me of a reversal on a credit card transaction I processed on the 1/4/2016. The customer sent an email along with the 3 digit security code on the back for a charge to be made on his credit card. I'm assuming the card was a scam. Can Suncorp do this. Surely some responsibility but with the bank in allowing the card to be debited in the first instance.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No. I received an email. Processed the card transaction completed the job and now the bank want the money back.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.Yes they can and your merchant agreement clearly says that they can.I would suggest you speak to your bank that has given you the merchant facility. I suspect the credit card may have been stolen.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought that would be the case. Got to be careful taking credit cards.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good EveningYes that is true that is why they do not recommend taking them over the phone. I am sorry I could not give you anything more positive. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was via an email. But again we live and learn. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
I would call them and talk to them before you do anything. All the best and good luckYou are very welcome and thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon