Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Pearl my name is***** query is my husband and I are renting

Customer Question

Hi Pearl my name is***** query is my husband and I are renting a storage shed. If we fell behind due to financial issues can they sell our stuff to recover money owing?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No as we found out today our stuff has been sold and thrown out.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: We have rented a storage shed from the 7th of December 2015. As of the 22 of May we were behind by 3 months. They did try to phone my husband but his phone is broken and we cannot afford to replace it at the moment. They have our email address and the only contact via email was invoice's and statements. They didn't have our new address but they had our old one and we have a mail redirection so if they sent us a letter we would have received it.
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.You have to look at the agreement you have with them. This sets out what you agreed too. Generally no they cant they have to get a court order. But if you agreed that they can sell if you do not pay then they can rely on that and sell. You appear to have failed in your obligations to keep them informed of changes in address etc. Have you been able to now enter into some arrangement to pay the debt?