Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

Been in a relationship we never married but have

Customer Question

Been in a relationship for 17yrs we never married but have two children together. During this time I stayed at home caring for the children and returned to work in 2011 he worked for most of their time and the last 6 yrs he had a high income job where we recieved no government benefits. He has left the home we live in and the morgage is only in his name with around $100000 paid of of it. What rights do I have and where do I go from here.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  TexasAtty replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options" we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Because we never married and the morgage is in his name what am I entitled after being together for 15 yrs and having two children
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do we split everything I don't want it to get nasty
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought it was 50 50 but because he is the only name on the morgage and paid the repayments I need to know if the law grAnts me any of the money we have got since n
Being together
This is showing as an Australia law question now. Are you in Australia or the US?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Australia
Sorry, this was in the US law section. I will opt out and try to send it to the Australia law section.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you please get back to me
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.
HelloHow long separated?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He left 5weeks ago
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.
HelloAs a rough estimate, you will be entitled to around 60% of the assets with two children.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What is the first step to take to get the ball rolling?