Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I"m on disability pension as i have a mental health problem,but

Customer Question

I"m on disability pension as i have a mental health problem,but I would like to try and work a few hours a fortnight, centerlink said I can work some hours if I want but I must tell them how much money I receive. But every wants me to have my own ABN number and my old one has been council ed can I reapply for it and will that mean my payment will be stoped if I reactivate my ABN
JA: OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I have not yet
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Lawyer should know?
Customer: No I just want to see how well I can work and any money I might get I will tell centerlink about it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.What does your doctor say?This is what you have to rely on to explain what you can do as work. Have any of the employers given you anything in writing about needing an ABN? What industry are you qualified to work in and is this industry one where ABN's are common for employees?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have nothing in writing because thay wont even take me on with out the ABN. My doctors are happy if I do some work If the work is simple work Like gardening or cleaning ect. The work I'm trying to do is just mowing lawns or doing some gardening
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.
Good Afternoon, You have to approach centrelink and advise them of the issue about the ABN,Also you need to have your doctor confirm that your ability into work is limited because of your condition and you cannot hold down a full time job.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
so I think the best thing would be not to worry about it. centerlink are not know to be understanding.
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.
They follow a set retorick and they are annoying. But I have not heard of them stopping payments because someone is on an ABN and there are many that work for themselves that still get benefits.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Leon, I'm trying to find out now, Why you have taken $74 out of my account. When I gave my account details it said that the details was a deposit only now I have been charge that kind of money and it's a lot to someone who is on the pension. I was under the believe that this was a free service. And my question was not even answers I was told to talk with centerlink which would have been free any way.