Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

My name is***** was in a defacto relationship for

Customer Question

hello my name is***** was in a defacto relationship for 32 years and we had 3 children and about 20 years ago he tool me for a holiday and leff there then run me up and told me not to come back so I went to legal aid and meny more soliciters and they all told I was not intitle to anything because the laws in qld had not changed then so I was wondering if I would be able to do something now
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.How long ago did you separate? They told you the wrong thing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
about 18yrs ago
Expert:  Leon replied 5 months ago.
Good EveningI am sorry to say but being 18 years no court will entertain an application. You are out of time. The law has always been that as a defect you have 2 years from the date of separation to bring your application. Being 18 years is not going to work and the court will throw it out. You are also out of time to sue the solicitor for negligence as you have 6 years from the date of the advise to sue them. I am really sorry I could not give you any better news :-(If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon