kmslaw, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 15 years legal experience behind me and I graduated from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours in Arts/Law.

I was made redundant a month ago by my company. I was lucky

Customer Question

I was made redundant a month ago by my company. I was lucky enough to get a job offer and started work in another company which unfortunately compete in some areas of business with my previous company.
I didn't realise the termination clause include trade restrictions and non solicitations even though I was terminated by redudancy for a period of 3 months. I received a legal letter to the effect.
Does trade restrictions applicable in redundancy?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 5 months ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor in NSW who will attend to your inquiry today.You need to look at the terms of your employment contract to determine if this is so.If you are employed under an employment contract and and award, check both.But usually, yes, the termination clause in employment contracts do state that trade restrictions apply in respect of what occurs after termination, whether that be by dismissal or redundancy.I will have a look at your employment contract if you attach it here, to confirm that this is the case.Let me know if you wish me to do this.