Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I HAVE BEEN STOOD DOWN FROM WORK MONTHS AND WHEN I RETURN

Customer Question

I HAVE BEEN STOOD DOWN FROM WORK FOR 3 MONTHS AND WHEN I RETURN HAVE AGREED TO BE DRUG TESTED. ONE OF MY WORK COLLEAGUES TOLD A NEW EMPLOYEE THAT I TOOK ALOT OF DRUGS, THE NEW EMPLOYEE APPROACHED ME AND TOLD ME WHAT THEY SAID. DO I HAVE A CASE FOR DEFAMATION. I AM DRUG AND ALCOHOL FREE BUT TAKE ANTI DEPRESSANTS. DO I HAVE ANY CHANCE OF FILING A DEFAMATION OF CHARACTER SLANDER CASE.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.In defamation cases it is not enough to simply have lies told about you. You have to also show that you have suffered loss. If you are being treated differently and ostracised by the employees because of the lies then you can seek compensation. In this case though you should have a letter sent to the employee that is spreading the lies and advise them you are aware and that if they do not retract the lies and stop spreading them you will take action. This type of thing can cost you your job if the employer hears of it as it may be taken the wrong way. If there is no impact on your reputation and you are not treated differently the court will have difficulty working out what type of compensation you would get. I hope this makes sense and if there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon