Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer

My laptop was not opening so I took it to be repaired at

My laptop was not opening so I took it to be repaired at Codas in Ulverstone and they charged me $66.00 just to have a look at it. they rang me and said that it was locked up with malware and they would charge me $250 to wipe it clean. They rang me again and said the laptop was ready to collect. I told them as I was a pensioner I would have to pay them in two lots. They told me that I could not have the laptop until it was filly paid for. Later they rang me and told me that they had made an error and it would now cost me $400. Do I have any legal rights to only pay the amount quoted to me being $250. If I knew that it would cost me $400 I would buy a new computer..
Yvonne **
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.If they quoted you $250 and proceeded on the basis that is what it would cost then they are bound by the quotation. If the quotation and your acceptance was only made orally by phone, however, then both parties may have a hard time proving their claim. If that is your situation then I would suggest you email them advising them that as they only quoted $250 they don't have the right to simply change the quote after the repairs are done and $250 is all you will pay and then ask them to confirm they are ready to proceed on that basis and you will attend to pay and collect. By puting this to them in writing, unless they deny what you say, you will be creating at least prima face evidence that your version of events as to the quotation is correct. If the refuse to pay then you should have good prospects of succeeding before your state/territory consumer tribunal and forcing them to accept $250 in full satisfaction.I trust the above assists.Good luck and please rate my answer.PatrickPatrick
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your advice. As this is the first time I have had a similar problem I did not know what to do, so thanks again.yvonne
You are welcome. Please rate my answer using the website's rating system.Thanks,Patrick