Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I have a contract that was even to me on 29 June 2015

Customer Question

I have a contract that was even to me on 29 June 2015 for a period of 12 months I was advised last week that due to lack of work my contract will be terminated in 'May
the contract actually says that it will conclude 27 July M I able to claim payment until that date?
Nathan Vidgen
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.What does the termination clause say in it?If it says that either party can terminate the contract then you can only be paid until the date it is terminated and not till the end. You have to look at the contract as a whole.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Afternoon Leon,
So after looking at the contract it does not state anything about being terminated earlier. At this stage he has only had a verbal 1 month notice and is yet to receive a written. Should we have it in writing?
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonAnything you so should be in writing. If the contract us silent on termination then you would have to rely on the common law. So any notice period would be based on the regularity of the pay. If they are paid weekly then you would give 1 weeks notice etc.