Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I got home Friday to find my car gone. I thought it had been

Customer Question

I got home Friday to find my car gone. I thought it had been stolen so I phoned police who told me that it was repossessed by Toyota finance. I had not received anything from them. Yes I was behind n explained that temporarily my wages had dropped to 400 per week. I phoned them and asked to make a payment arrangement to catch up but they would not take an arrangement less then 750 one week n the normal payment the rest. By that stage I was back on normal wages n said I only get 641 n asked if I could do 550. The answer was 750 or nothing. This is highly unethical n they obviously aren't prepared to work with me. I wasn't trying to not pay I just needed them to work with me. I've put in my weekly payments to keep it going and putting in other amounts to get it down.i had an issue late last year with them with them suddenly changing my address back to an old one n they changed it. I'm still not getting mail from them. I'm wondering whether it's coming to the right address again or even if it's being sent at all. The issue n I'm still looking at legal action is that last time they had given my parents very private n personal information to which is a huge break of the law. I don't want that crap I'm not looking at getting out of my debt I just want a fair agreement to catch up. I have put an immediate complaint to ombudsmen but they already sneakily took the car giving me no chance to get my personal belongings out. Not sure of my next step
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet but I think I should at least be compensated for the breach of my privacy as it has caused a lot of grief between me n my parents
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have put everything I can think of in just so stressed n upset. I will need to this afternoon check with my neighbours as there are 3 apartments here whether they got mail not belonging to them as one of them do not know my name as they are new. The other does n pretty sure she would have told me if she got it in her box.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.The law is not on your side I am sorry to say. Can I ask, had you stopped making all payments?Because they have now re-possessed the car you cannot get it back on a payment plan. Are they prepared to give it back if you pay them out what is owed and if so have you looked at refinancing?