Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

Two days ago, my sisters son was sentenced crime that

Customer Question

Two days ago, my sisters son was sentenced for a crime that he did not commit.
He was advised by legal aid to plead guilty to a lesser charge, knowing full well that he was innocent.
The reason for doing so was has lack of ability to pay his legal costs.
Post sentencing, he has changed his mind, and wants to take this matter to trial to defend his position.
What is his course of action, if any?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.He has to apply for an appeal and rehearing. He should get a new Solicitor to do this for him. He was incorrectly advised and he has to say this. He has 28 days from the date of sentence to file his appeal.He will not be able to do this on his own.I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing furtherthank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon