Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

I bought a jet ski off a private seller through gum tree.

Customer Question

I bought a jet ski off a private seller through gum tree. He advertised it as having done only 11hours of engine use. I have since found out that it is a much older engine and done more like 180hours of use. Can i force him to return my money and take the ski back? Where do i stand with the falsified advert?
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have proof of the original add and expert report stating older engine...
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.You can try but being a private sale you are not afforded any protections under the law. It is buyer beware.You can sue him for false advertising though the courts if you wish and the court can then decide what it will do.But the protection you have buying from a dealer is not afforded to you in private sales.I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing furtherthank you for using my services.If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me knowIf there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you say sue him through the courts how long is that process? What would the likely outcome be?
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonI cant give you the outcome it all depends on what the court thinks.The process can take up to 12 months and it will be for a breach of contract.You had a contract that you purchased a ski with 11 hours and he did not do that.It would be in the small claims I assume it was less than $10K