Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

My name is ***** *****, my issue is with my car JA: Thanks.

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** *****, my issue is with my car
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have just been through a separation and the car is currently with my ex, the cars in my name & i pay the loan but the police will not seize it back as they keep telling me this is a civil matter. how do i go about getting it back?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question.Unortunately you will need to apply t a court to have the court order the car handed over.However, if the car is part of a wider property settlement that you will need to go through (which will likely be necessary if there are other significant assets; your assets have been mingled; or you have been together for several years; then likely it would be more efficient to just get a family lawyer to start the process of finalising a comprehensive property settlement, otherwise you could get orders from the magistrates court to get your car back and then have them effectively over-ruled by the family court subsequently reassigning property ownership.I trust the above assists your understanding.Good luck and please rate my answer.Patrick