Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I am looking at a Torrens Title property that has been damaged

Customer Question

I am looking at a Torrens Title property that has been damaged by fire.
The fire has also damaged surrounding properties.
Does the liability for that damage come with the title?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.The liability rests with the owner of the property.If they sell it you are not liable.I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing furtherthank you for using my services.If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me knowIf there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am sorry, I phrased my question badly.
I am looking to buy a property, which was destroyed by an accidental fire, causing damage to the neighbouring properties. The damage is extensive as it is one of a row of terraces and the collective roof was destroyed. The damage occurred 3 months ago.
I understand that the existing owner of the property is liable for the damage to the surrounding properties.
If I become the owner of the property which started the fire, do I also become liable for the existing unrepaired damage to the neighbouring properties?
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.
Good MorningIs the owner being sure by the neighbours for the damage?Did they have insurance?