Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

I am one of four daughters, Our Father passed away on Easter

Customer Question

I am one of four daughters, Our Father passed away on Easter Sunday, Unbeknown to three of the daughters one of the sisters took Dad in to change his and Mums will (who is also deceased) not quiet four months ago, which left all assets and stock to her and her daughters. We were sent copy of new will this morning after we asked but are not allowed to look at previous will. How could we legally do that.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
Which state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NSW
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
A child of a deceased is clearly entitled to inspect and/or obtain a copy of any will of their parent, including a revoked will under the following section of the Succession Act:http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/sa2006138/s54.htmlSimply demand a copy from any party who you understand or believe to have a copy and refer them to this section. If they refuse, you would have to apply to the court but the only defence a person can have for not producing such a will is if they do not possess a copy.In any event, if the will is unfavourable to you, aside from challenging its validity you may have recourse to the family provision laws which allow a court to alter the disposition under a will if it appears that a child who ought to have been provided for has not been provided for.I trust the above assists.Good luck and PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.Patrick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome but could you please rate me using the website rating system.Thanks,Patrick