Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Madam,I am ***** ******.I am permanent resident

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am ***** ******.I am permanent resident of Australia. I have been living here for the last 2.5 year.
I am planning to start one website oriented business.that means providing subscriptions for "sports betting Tips".
I don't know what is the rule in Australia.
So I need good information from ur department.
For example.
We can go through one website in Australia.
This website provides paid subscription for sports betting tips.
There is no guarantee about their prediction will win or not.paypal is their payment gateway.
But in their terms and conditions and disclaimer they explained all details.
Other websites
Sir. My doubt is , if i start a australian registered website for my tips and if i get money from overseas for my subscription through PayPal into my australian bank account,
if legal.
My plan is to register one website
Take ABN
Register business Name
Open business bank account
Pay tax from my profits.
My question is "providing betting tips via websites is legal or illegal in Australia"? ?
Yours sincerely
***** ******
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.If it is gambling you will have to be licenced in each state of Australia. Each state has its own gambling laws. It is not illegal to get the money but you have to declare it in your income tax return. The provision of tips is not illegal. Just make sure you have the appropriate disclaimers so that you cannot be sued by people who take you advise and do not win. What you are planning on doing is not illegal. But you need to have a licence as it is gambling.