Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Can a beneficiary of a deceased estate claim their legal fees

Customer Question

Can a beneficiary of a deceased estate claim their legal fees relating to matters of the estate from the estate?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.No they cant. Only an executor can seek commissions. If the beneficiary has contested the will and it goes to hearing they can ask for costs and the court may award costs from the estate. A beneficiary should not have legal costs unless they are contesting. If they are contesting then they can request that their costs be paid. I hope this makes sense?