Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)

I am a foreigner (an American) working in Australia

Customer Question

Hello. I am a foreigner (an American) working in Australia on an E457 Visa. Been here 8 years already but can't get PR because I am too old to apply now. My wife and 2 children are also here in Australia on the same E457 visa. QUESTION -- What is the status of my wife's visa if she divorces me, but wants to stays in Australia? I plan to remain working here in Australia for the full term of my visa until 2020. Does the Australian Court tell Immigration immediately about the divorce? Would she have to leave the country immediately upon the divorce being granted in Australia? ..... Or wonldn't Immigration check or know?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good EveningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.If she divorces you she has to go back because she is on your visa and if she is not with you she has no visa. You are under an obligation as is she to tell the department that the marriage is over. If you do not you have breached your conditions of the visa. It is a change in circumstances. If you dont tell them, then usually they wont know. But if they find out you can all be deported as you have breached your conditions. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. if there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon