Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

I found optus had withdrawn money from my bank account to pay

Customer Question

I found optus had withdrawn money from my bank account to pay my ex partners phone bill.
She hit me 2 years ago we went to refuge for 6 mths. We moved interstate because I couldn't get a dvo to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
The last dvo case finished in March 2016. I had to pay her court costs because apparently according to her lawyer I had hoodwinked the majestrate.
Before leaving Qld in Dec my email account was hacked and all legal documentation removed. This was reported to acorn and has been followed up they are still waiting on relevant information as of feb 16.
I have given nobody authority to touch my bank accounts and now have 3 passwords on it for protection.
I've had to deal with state and fed police. I have not reported this to the Victorian police.
I just want to know where to go and what to do.
The bank are not interested. Optus could only give me limited help.
I am being completely harassed and she won't leave me alone.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.Did you have an authority with optus for them to withdraw money?Had your ex any authority to operate you optus account?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I do not have an account with optus.My ex has never had any authority to my bank account.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did speak to optus to make sure they didn't have any of my bank details when I was previously a customer. I don't do direct debit authority. My bank told me it was my problem and deal with it.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
Good AfternoonHow did optus get the right to access your account?Or did your ex prepare a direct debit for your account?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They explained to me that the only way this could have possibly happened was for my ex to ring them and give them the authority. They couldn't give me any other information as to when it was done with the ex' permission.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.
You need to get as many details as you can from Optus including a copy of any direct debt that may have been signed. you can report it to the police and they may be able to get copies of the document and if your signature has been forged then they can charge her.