Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I hade an argument with some friend about . Is the police

Customer Question

I hade an argument with some friend about .
Is the police have a right to soot some one with gun or not ??
Some of them they say yes ,I said no
They don't have a right to do this ???
I'm I wiring or right????
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.
Good MorningMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.It depends on the circumstances. If they need to subdue them and it appears that teh person is going to attack the police or holds a weapon then they can shoot. They cannot just go up top a person and shoot. There has to be some imminent danger to them or the public and the person is not following police directions. I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further thank you for using my services. If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Please do not forget to leave positive feedback. RegardsLeon
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for your answer
🙏🏽
But again can they kill the person directly, or just shooting on the arm,lege .to defending them self ??
I mean the police???
I thing there is no law say that police man can kill a resident????
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.
Good MorningThey are not supposed to shoot to kill but it has happened and in that case it is investigated.This is a last resort and the best example is in the Sydney seige where they were in their rights to shoot to killThese laws do not just apply to residents they apply to anyone in the country. They have to treat all people the same.