Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My girlfriend and I want to move to Australia from the U.S.

Customer Question

JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: But I have 2 felony convictions from 2003 to which I received probation for and completed in November of 2014. I rehabilitated fully and have not re offended, nor am I likely to given that my life has been forever changed due to a poor decision over a weekend 13 years ago. We both love Australia and I am saddened to see such disappointing forums on the subject. I could produce character letters, or anything from friends, family, employers, even probation officers, maybe even a judge, and all case material but the charges happened both on one night. And now I love with that blemish forever. Is there no way to get to Australia for me?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: That's all I can think of as of now
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe offences are not a factor to come to Australia at all. If the offences were undertaken here, we would consider it a 'spent conviction' as it was over 10 years ago. best speak with a Migration Agent here in Australia to guide you when the formal application is made:https://www.mara.gov.au/ Please click accept and rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after accepting also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry could you explain that a little more about the offenses not being a factor? If not helps I was convicted of attempted robbery and credit card abuse in November of 2003 is when I signed probation and I served some jail time. From what I have read it disbars me from meeting the character assessment. Do you know more about that?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloWith the offence being time spent in jail, it would not be considered a spent conviction here then if it was conducted in Australia. HOWEVER as it was over 10 years ago, it would not be an issue regardless. I understand your concern re character assessment, but clearly there have been no offences undertaken since then which work in your favour.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloI note I have not heard back from you.I wish to assist you, please click accept and rate my service. I am able to answer further questions if any after doing so at no further cost.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.