Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

Next month our Club,which has appointed me a Returning

Customer Question

Next month our Club,which has appointed me a Returning Officer, is having a meeting at which several Notices of Motion have been proposed but none have been seconded. I assume these will be seconded at the meeting. As there is quite a lot of dissension in the club and members are scattered all over Australia It is expected that a large number of Proxies will be forthcoming.
1. Are these Proxies acceptable at the meeting?
2. What is the accepted procedure in relation to Proxies if there are amendments to the motion(s)?
3. After being vetted, who should control the use of these Proxies?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 8 months ago.
Good AfternoonMy name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.If they are seconded at the meeting and the constitution permits proxies then they are valid. If the motion is amended and it is not the same as the proxies the proxies cannot be counted as for or aginst the new motion. I do not understand the last question and what you are asking.