Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

I want to know how the below mentioned situation will effect

Customer Question

I want to know how the below mentioned situation will effect my ability to register as a Registered nurse for the next year as the nsw nurses registration body ahapra requires all criminal history to be declared:
On the 21/10/2015 while driving my car in an undercover car park I attempted to park my vehicle and while doing so my car scraped the rear corner of the neighbouring car. No one was present or injured as a result of this incident. I looked at the car from my car window and could not see any damage from my angle, I was under the impression that without any damage I was not required to take any further action. So I left the scene of the accident. At this stage I was unaware of the law requiring me to leave my particulars irrespective of damage and of the fact that there had been damage to the side rear of the car which was not visible from my angle.
I was later contacted by the police regarding this incident. I went to the police station to give them my information and my side of the events. I explained to them that I had not seen any damage and had left as I believed no further action to be required under law in the absence of damage/injury. The police informed me that there had been damage which was not visible from the direction I had been looking and showed me some photos taken of the damage to the side rear of the car which was not visible to me at the time of the incident. I should also point out that I was not under the influence of alcohol or drugs as I am a total non drinker and never use drugs.
They issued me with 2 tickets:
One for negligent driving (without death or grievous bodily harm) with the penalty of 3 demerit points and a fine of $ 415.
Two for leaving the scene of an accident without providing particulars with the penalty of 3 demerit points and a fine of $319.
Upon receiving the ticket I paid the corresponding fines immediately which totalled $734. I also contacted traffic control to determine if there was anything else required of me and they informed me that there were no further penalties or action to be taken with regard to this matter.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
HelloIt is not a criminal offence, just a traffic offence. Thus is need not be declared. Please click accept and rate my service. I am able to assist further once doing so at no further cost.