Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

Back in 2011 I had a balcony sealed & waterproofed by a

Customer Question

Back in 2011 I had a balcony sealed & waterproofed by a contractor Peter Page( Phoenix construction) with a Sika product. The job cost me a little over $20,000.00 inc gst. Now that I am ready to tile, it appears the job was badly done & needs to be re done. Is there any come back with the contractor even though there was no guarantee in writing, only told by Peter Page it would last 10 yrs. he is still working in this line of business.
Keitha Banks-Smith, Hobart. Tasmania
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 7 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advice but a guide to assist you.

Do you have any agreement and did they provide you with their builders licence details?

Have you had an independent builder look at the job and advise you of the issues and if they are because of the negligence of the contractor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This work was carried out at a unit block and there was an agreement for work undertaken for Salamanca Mews Body Corp. Peter Page, contractor, is accredited sealant applicator.
We recently had Sika representative look at work - did not realise there was a problem until we went to lay tiles in December. Seems all trying to pass buck. Because Sika representative was not himself involved initially, he seems to be wiping his hands of it and when the contractor doesn't take calls it makes it very difficult.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Evening

So the body corporate organised the work?

The body corporate then has to sue them.

They should have some agreement with him.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Body Corp had an agreement for work that he was doing at units & I employed him to do my deck while he was there on site.
Expert:  Leon replied 6 months ago.

Good Morning

So the issue with with your own private work.

He is liable and you can sue him but you need details of what the issue is and confirmation that he has been negligent. He should have insurance but if he does not he is personally liable.

Have you had a report form an independent person?