Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience

My 20 year old son was riding s pushbike on the road in busy

Customer Question

My 20 year old son was riding his pushbike on the road in busy Melbourne when a driver opened his car door in his path and nearly collected him. My son in his anger thumped the car door and caused a dent in the car door. The driver of the car then pursued my son as he rode off, he caught up with my son and pushed him off his bike causing him and his bike to crash to the ground. There were witnesses to the assault and the police were called but the driver left before they showed up, there is no police report. The driver of the car is now pursuing my son to pay for the damages to the vehicle, and has sent text messages threating him with debt collectors and giving him two weeks to pay. I would like to know where my son stands in all of this.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 months ago.

I would contact the police once more and have the driver charged with stalk / intimidation.
You clearly now have the details of the driver, have them charged for everything.
You at the very least can use it as leverage to not have your son pay for the damage.