Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

My ex wife lives in Fiji now with my daughter. We've been

Customer Question

Hi, my ex wife lives in Fiji now with my daughter. We've been separated for more than 10years. First she said she didn't want anything from and she filed for divorce and full custody, now she's threatening me with child maintenance. Can she still get child support living overseas?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 8 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Child support can be claimed from overseas provided the country in question is signatory to reciprocal arrangements (so that Australians can pursue child support claims against people in those countries.

Fiji is such a country so your ex can seek child support from you. The process and obligations are somewhat different so you will need to talk to the Department of Human Affairs to work out your liability and it may take longer to work out since it will depend on both the Australian and Fijian governments sharing information.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/reciprocating-jurisdictions-and-residency-child-support

I trust this assists.

Good luck and please rate my answer.

Patrick