Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I'm a beginner in this area and need some guidance. Right

Customer Question

Hi there.
I'm a beginner in this area and need some guidance. Right now I'm doing a PhD with a regional university. It's within the faculty of education and I'm investigating a new model of learning related to training people how to become more employable and build long-term careers (against a back-drop of ever-changing workplaces and the rapid advance of technology). It's likely to come up with suggested frameworks and models of learning.
The output, as far as I'm concerned, for this project is that I then intend to then go on and write books / create material under my authorship that will be focused on the same theme for commercial gain.
The professor concerned is open to this but I'm not so sure that I wouldn't be creating a problem for myself, legally. I'm unclear where the dividing line is with all this. If I don't copy the PhD material or any of the field research but essentially say similar things in different words - is that infringement of the IP that the uni will claim on the doctoral submission?
I suppose the question, in essence, is how do I write a book on the same general topic and keep free of danger?
Any general guidance around this appreciated.
Jim.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a copy of the agreement they have asked you to sign?