Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

Annmaree - Defamation, I received a letter from a solicitor

Customer Question

Annmaree - Defamation
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I received a letter from a solicitor in Adelaide on behalf of journalist Amanda Blair claiming defamation over tweets I sent. Threatening court action if I don't pay her money.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Hello
If you have a reasonable belief that what you said was true, then it is not defamation.
That alone is a substantial defence to any claim.
Thus, I would suggest that you ignore the correspondence, they are trying to scare you.

Please click accept and rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after accepting also.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

I note I have not received a response?
I wish to assist you.

Please click accept and rate my service. I am able to answer further questions after accepting at no further cost to you.