Daniel, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (dist) Graduate Diploma in Legal Practise. Admitted NSW Supreme Court / High Court
13248794

My car was parked out side my business. I dropped it off

Customer Question

My car was parked out side my business. I dropped it off with a trailer because the mechanic was across the road for repair.
I did not realise the registration had expired, until I was about to drive the car, so I paid the registration from expiry date before driving.
A police officer came to my business 4 days later and presented me with a fine of $412.00 the fine was car parked on a public road.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

Hello
The issue is, as it was parked on a road, it needs to be registered, in South Australia anyway:

Where an unregistered motor vehicle is driven or found standing on a road, the owner of the vehicle is guilty of an offence. The maximum penalty is a fine of $7,500 [see Motor Vehicles Act 1959 (SA) s 9(3)]

You can elect to dispute the fine by arguing that the vehicle was to be repaired by the mechanic across the road, however you should have documents confirming repair works done to the vehicle.

Otherwise, sadly the offence stands.

Please rate my service and click ACCEPT. I am able to answer further questions at no further cost to you after accepting also.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

I note I have not received a response?
I wish to assist you.

Expert:  Daniel replied 9 months ago.

I note I have not received a response?
I wish to assist you.