Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Wrong payout date from previous home and I believe wrong

Customer Question

wrong payout date from previous home and I believe wrong figure my payout was $65000 for previous home and on loan document it said they paid out $230,000 for it .,this was 10 years ago and I have been in debt ever since ,bank wont listen to me and wont give me any statements from that period of time to prove they owe me over $160,000 have I got a legal case and can a laywer get the statements for me
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

The payout date will just affect the interest calculations but a mistake in this regard won't of itself void the loan.

If the bank won't simply give you any statements for the loan then very likely a lawyer can get the statements for you, although the bank should really just hand them over. If you are really out of pocket by that much then you should certainly see a lawyer and see them quickly. If the mistake or fraud occurred over ten years ago you may be out of time so you may need an extention of time but you need to act quickly in case that is an issue, but only a fully briefed lawyer familiar with the circumstances of the loan and its discharge can give you a firm answer as to your prospects, but for that amount of money it would seem worthwhile incurring the expense of a lawyer if you have any concerns that you have been substantially short changed.

If you need assistance locating a suitable lawyer, contact the Law Society of SA as they can refer you to a suitable lawyer in your area.

https://www.lawsocietysa.asn.au/

I trust the above assists.

Please rate my answer.

Patrick