Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

, I need some information reagrding the demerits

Customer Question

Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need some information reagrding the demerits pioints on the international license
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The few things i need to ask are: 1 Can the demerits points in new be transferred to an overseas license who is not in Australia and never visited Australia? 2 If the demists points are taken on overseas license which exceed 13 demerits points, can you still drive on international license? 3 Thirdly If you apply for nsw license having a 3 year old international license but with more than 13 demirt points on it, does the points transfer to new nsw license, if the points do transfer how long the average suspension of license is? I would appreciate the answer.
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 9 months ago.

Sorry, not understanding your question.

Sorry, not understanding how you are saying a person who has never been in Australia could incur demerit points in Australia?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay, can you please see other question
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oops just realised, I meant nsw
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, can you drop the question please, my questions are pretty much Answers as well.
I applied gorse
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i apologise

OK, I will attempt to answer your questions as best I understand them:

1. A person who has never been in Australia cannot ordinarily incur demerit points on their drivers license.

2. The demerit points system administered in Australia does not ordinarily count demerits earned in overseas jurisdictions, so any points on an overseas license should not apply to an Austral***** *****cense.

3. Demerit points incurred on an international license whilst in Australia will apply to a local state license once you apply, and if in excess of 13 will prevent you from obtaining a local license whilst any suspension of the international license is current. How long a suspension lasts will depend on how many demerit points you actually accumulated, see the attached table:

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/safety-rules/demerits/

Though it is also possible longer suspension periods may apply if the offence that exceeded the limit was one which triggers an automatic suspension period, such as high range speeding.

Good luck and I trust the above assists.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

Patrick