Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

I' ve been physically assaulted 3 years ago. I ended up on

Customer Question

I' ve been physically assaulted 3 years ago. I ended up on hospital, with my skull cracked and I went through few surgeries. At the time my sister convinced me not to charge her soon (which assaulted me). But now I ve changed my mind. I would like to know, do I still have a case even after 3 years?
Thanks you very much
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 9 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

You can certainly refer the matter to the police even after three years. There is no time limit issue for pressing criminal charges for an offence like this.

However, the issue you will likely encounter is that it may be harder for the police to obtain all the evidence they need after this much time and they may not be interested in pursuing a prosecution after so much time. Ultimately the decision to charge your nephew is for the police, you can only make the allegations and provide whatever evidence you can in support, but they will make the final decision.

I trust the above assists.

PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

Patrick

I note it has been some time since I povided my answer to you, but you haven't rated my answer yet and am wondering if there is anything further I can do for you to ensure a positive rating.

Patrick