Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

Telstra have billed me item I believe they assured me was

Customer Question

Telstra have billed me for an item I believe they assured me was free. They claim to have reviewed the recording of our conversation and claim I have entered into a valid contract. They refuse to provide me with a copy of this contract/conversation.
Do I have any options to dispute this?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

If you refuse to pay the onus is on them to prove the contract. If you don't believe you agreed to enter into a contract you should stand your ground until they establish the basis upon which they believe you are liable, and if they then refer the matter to debt collectors or harass you with demands, I suggest you refer the matter to the Telecommunications Ombudsman. At the very least that should force them to demonstrate why they believe you have entered into a contract.

https://www.tio.com.au/making-a-complaint

I trust the above assists.

Good luck and PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER.

Patrick

Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

I note it has been some time since I povided my answer to you, but you haven't rated my answer yet and am wondering if there is anything further I can do for you to ensure a positive rating.

Patrick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Patrick,
Apologies for the delay.
I appreciated your answer. It backed up my belief that I have some right to see or hear the contract.
Thank you again.
Cheers,
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, and yes you certainly do have a right to see the basis of their claim.

Please rate my answer.

Patrick