How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deborah Awyzio Your Own Question
Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 863
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Deborah Awyzio is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In December last year my son applied visa based on the "last

Customer Question

In December last year my son applied for a visa based on the "last remaining relative", he was in Australia on a holiday visa. My wife daughter and myself are Australian citizens.
Subsequent to his application he was granted the right to remain in Australia pending the outcome of hie visa application. I sponsored his application which amounted to just under $4000. We have subsequently learned that this visa application could take up to 50 years to come through. I would like to know how it is expected that a person applying for this visa is expected to survive without working, I certainly won't be alive in 50 years time.
Surely the department should indicate that this visa application could take a long time and not be so quick to take your money. I went to see the immigration department and they let me know, in no uncertain manor, that if my son was to apply for a working visa based on his qualifications, which he has, and is on the skills select list, I would loose my $4000.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I am not sure that the 50 years us correct they process them much quicker that that. Have you or your son contacted the department and asked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apparently there is a 5 year "backlog" and according to the departments website it can take up to 50 years.
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard this before.

If he was to apply for work he would be in breach of his bridging visa where it will not permit him to work

In his right to remain what are the conditions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The visa conditions state that it is, "8115 - business visa activity".
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Have you spoken to the department about changing the conditions?