Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I am a not at fault driver in a car accident and have

Customer Question

I am a not at fault driver in a car accident and have provided my insurance co.with a quotation for repairs. My insurance co. want to pay me $4100 and write my car off. Contact with several car sales people indicate that for me to replace my vehicle with an equivalent one would be somewhere in the vacinaty of $5000 +. this means that as a not at fault driver I will be at least $1000 out of pocket and as a disability pensioner I don't have that amount of money available. My insurance co. have advised me that I cannot drive my car as they have written it off but it is still drivable . Do they have the right to take my vehicle and make me wait for several days with no car and no money?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor in NSW who will help with your inquiry today. The answer lies in your insurance policy. Do you have a copy of it? If so, please attach it here.