Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

I have recently broken up with my partner of almost 2 years.

Customer Question

During the time we were together I leant him money for different things as he wasn't working etc. but we had no written agreements. Do I have a case to get my money back?
I do have some receipts.
He also used my car and i payed the tolls. If I can prove I wasn't in Possession of the car at the time would that help. I was at work.
Lastly he has made a statement to the police about something I said when I was angry is this something he can do? I had no intentions of doing anything.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If you have not been together for 2 years then you are not in a defacto relationship.

You have to sue him in the magistrates court as a debt.

It is your word against your partners but you have a right to get the money back.

He can complain to the police if he fears for his safety and you should be careful because if you react the police may take out an intervention order against you.