Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My wife and I were members of a Private Boat Club.A member

Customer Question

My wife and I were members of a Private Boat Club.A member of this club put in a formal complaint on the 27/12/15 to the Management committy, (3 of whom don't like my wife) about a text she had sent.After the management meeting my wife was evicted from the club. Upon reviewing the text messages, the text in question was not sent until thr 28/12/15.Can a person be convicted of an offence if it has not yet happened or is this just discrimation?
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am a solicitor in NSW who is going to help with your inquiry today. I think what I am not understanding about your question is that a complaint was put in before a text message was sent, presumably about the text message. How is that actually possible? Was it that they complained about a series of text messages sent before 28/12/15 and one of them that their complaint was later amended to be about happened to be after the date of the complaint? I'm not sure I can actually advise on something that is not actually possible.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the text messages were sent on the 27/1/15 the complaint was put in on 27/1/15 but the complainant did not find out who sent the texts until the 28/1/15
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

Now I'm completely confused. Do you mean December or January? Your initial message had December 2015 dates and now you are talking about January dates.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry they are December dates I will email you the letter as a result of the texts
Expert:  kmslaw replied 1 year ago.

You haven't yet answered my earlier question: was the text you speak of sent as part of a series of texts?