Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

Once auctioned, if there is money owing on the property, who

Customer Question

Customer: Once auctioned, if there is money owing on the property, who is liable for outstanding money.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The local council auctions off properties to recover unpaid rates plus interest and other expenses. If reached the property is sold, but who is liable for any money owing on the property, also how does one go about getting the people still in the house evicted.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Australia Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes. I have to ask though are the laws in NSW compatible with QLD laws regarding the issue?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If a property is sold At auction or by private treaty, before the vendors receive any money, all debts such as mortgages, unpaid Council and water rates including any penalties and interest are paid.

This is all organised by the solicitors that act for you in the purchase.

The vendors are responsible to make sure that the property is vacant on the day settlement. You will do an inspection of the property either the day before settlement or the morning of settlement to make sure there is no damage and that the tenants or vendors are packing to leave.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards