Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I have been in a defacto relationship past 5 years with my

Customer Question

Customer: I have been in a defacto relationship for the past 5 years with my partner but he is still legally married to someone else. He has gone through a property settlement with her 4 years ago but I am bothered that he is still not divorced
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just want to know if anything happens to him has she any claim on my property
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Australia Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 12 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Yes she can still make a claim on his estate if he passes because she is married to him.

If he does not have a will he should make one and he should consider divorcing and ending the former relationship

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards