Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

I moved into a new neighbourhood about a year ago and have

Customer Question

Customer: I moved into a new neighbourhood about a year ago and have two small dogs - a fox terrior and a schnauzer. One neighbour complains about the dogs barking all the time, the other neighbours say they don't bark very much. The fox terrior has a very soft bark and the schnauzer has a high pitched bark. The terrior will bark at dogs at the rear of our property for about 30 secs, the schnauzer barks twice and is then quiet. The neighbour is now coming out and bashing a saucepan with a stick. This seems to upset the dogs and doesn't solve the issue. The dogs usually only bark in the morning and only at dogs that pass our rear gate. We have a doggy door and the dogs spend most of their time inside. There is usually someone home about 5 days out of 7. We have been renovating so for the first 3 months we had trades people in and the dogs barked at them but we were home and made sure they were quiet. I did keep a dog diary for the first 8 months of last year and thought the issue was over but now are going to mediation. Our local council have been out several times and said our dogs barking is not an issue, they can hardly be heard from the street. This complaining neighbour has a dog - golden retriever that does bark occasionally which sometimes sets our dogs off.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: For some reason my dogs when they see this neighbour with his dog out walking are quite aggressive towards him - they are not like this with anyone else walking their dogs. So I am not sure what he has done to them.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sorry I guess my question is his action with the saucepan and stick - will that antaganise the dogs - a few people ahve said it will make the dogs worse.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Have they complained to the council?

Expert:  Leon replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning

It is nuisance and you should complain to council first.

If they do nothing you can seek a court order

All the best and good luck. If there is nothing further

thank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards