Leon, Solicitor
Experience:  BEc Dip Ed, Dip Law (SAB) MTax (UNSW)
12124641

My car broke down 8 months ago in Katherine N.T. 1200km from

Customer Question

My car broke down 8 months ago in Katherine N.T. 1200km from my home in Alice Springs N.T. I left it with a mechanic. He ignored my calls for 6 months only answering once. Finally he rang me to say come and pick it up. I jumped on a bus and travelled the 1200kms to pick my car up and to have it make the same knock knock knock sound. He said its fine it just needs new fuel topped up in the tank he said just fill it up and it will be fine. He said he took it 30km out the road and it ran perfect. Well I didnt get out of the 80 zone leaving town and it overheated and brokedown exactly as it did 6 months ago when I originally left with him. He paid my bus back but it has cost me so much more than a bus fare. He rang me again 2 weeks ago to say he cant fix it and will be putting it on a truck and sending it back to me. It has taken 8 months of me getting taxis etc to be told he cant fix it and is sending it to me stuffed as it was. It originally only had a broken fan belt which then overheated and possibly cooked the motor. Any qualified mechanic should be able to replace or fix a cooked motor. Is this fair? I believe he owes me sopmething for all the waiting and lies about having it fixed running perfect to send me out in the desert in a car that was always going to break down, it could have been reaslly bad ie stuck in the desert with noone picking me up, I was just lucky I didnt get out of town before it broke down again.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Afternoon

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

I am sorry for the delay but the news is not good.

Generally they are not liable for your travel costs. But if you can show that they have been negligent in the repairs then you can claim the costs that you have incurred because of them.

To do this you need an independent report from another mechanic and to sue them in court.

You have to show that he was lying and misleading you and that he also did not do the job correctly

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance if there is nothing further

hank you for using my services.

If I have missed anything, or you have any further questions please let me know

If there is anything else in the future please do not hesitate to ask.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback.

Regards