Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

, I own a Supported Residential Service specialising in

Customer Question

Customer: Good morning ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I own a Supported Residential Service specialising in the accommodation of the aged, A The internal fire alarm went off overnight and the Carer on duty had gone to sleep and did not respond to the alarm by checking whether there was a fire and then turning the alarm off. One of the residents thought there was a fire and rang the fire brigade. As a consequence a truck turned up. They could find the staff member on duty as she went to sleep in a vacant room. I am now going to get fined for a false call out. Do I have to pay it? Can I make the staff member pay because she did not respond to the alarm (as she should have). What should I do?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Australia Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes I can wait. I meant to say 'fire brigade could NOT find staff member'
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

If you called the brigade then yes you are liable. If the alarm was faulty then you may be able to claim it from the residence administration because they did not have an alarm that worked properly.

The carer is in breach of their duty and may be fired.