How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick H. Your Own Question
Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Category: Australia Law
Satisfied Customers: 5404
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
Type Your Australia Law Question Here...
Patrick H. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was physically assaulted at work by a customer, what can I

Customer Question

Hi, I was physically assaulted at work by a customer, what can I do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Australia Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.


Can you elaborate on the circumstances of the assault?

What do you do for work and was it related to your work in some way?

Were you injured?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I work at the bank and I was punched in the face by a customer while advising him he could not withdraw money from his account due to not having sufficient identification
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He became very irate and started to physically assault me
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

If you have suffered physical or mental injuries then you can make a worker's compensation claim through WorkCover:

You can also report the matter to the police who should pursue the matter as an assault, and if the person can be identified, you could sue them for compensation.

Your entitlement to compensation will largely depend on how significant your injuries where, but you may be entitled to a modest amount of compensation even if you were not injured, though only if you sue the person directly.

You can pursue a worker's compensation claim directly through workcover, but to pursue a claim against him individually, you would realistically need to engage a lawyer to press your claim.

If you need help locating a suitable lawyer contact the WA Law Society as they can refer you to a suitable lawyer in your area.

I trust the above assists.