Deborah Awyzio
Deborah Awyzio, Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (QUT), BIT (QUT), Family Law Accredited Specialist, over 12 years experience
14265171

My adoptive mother recently died. Several years ago, I was

Customer Question

Hi, my adoptive mother recently died. Several years ago, I was informed by my Adoptive father that both myself and brother would receive $50,000 after she died. I have asked if my "Father' is the Executor of the will. I haven't heard a word since. Apart from "When I die you will get your inheritance". No answer. No information at all. Makes me feel something is being hidden. This kind of "behind my back" or not being informed of personal decisins being made but exclude myself is not new. Since 2013 and the apology made by Government re forced adoption. No questions have been answered. I am 60 yrs old. Stilly any questions from me go unanswered. Kind regards, Iain
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Evening

My name is ***** ***** I am a NSW Solicitor. Thank you for your question, and will do my best to assist you with your question. Please understand this is not legal advise Please understand this is not legal advise but a guide to assist you.

Did she leave a will and do you have a copy?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she did leave a Will. I do not have a copy nor have my attempts to get any information from "The Executor" been forthcoming. Any questions are ignored regarding Inheritance and any information I have requested to be answered have been ignored. As mentioned in my question ... see below:
"Hi, my adoptive mother recently died. Several years ago, I was informed by my Adoptive father that both myself and brother would receive $50,000 after she died. I have asked if my "Father' is the Executor of the will. I haven't heard a word since. Apart from "When I die you will get yourinheritance". No answer. No information at all. Makes me feel something is being hidden. This kind of "behind my back" or not being informed of personal decisins being made but exclude myself is not new. Since 2013 and the apology made by Government re forced adoption. No questions have been answered. I am 60 yrs old. Stilly any questions from me go unanswered. Kind regards, Iain"Kind regards,Iain
Expert:  Leon replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning

If you are a beneficiary under the Will you are entitled to a copy

You are going to have to get your own solicitor to contest the will.

If they have applied for probate then you can get information from the Supreme Court or NSW

Their number is

1300 679 272

You have to speak to the probate division and ask pif they have issued probate in the name of your adoptive mother.

If they have you can get a copy of the probate and it will have a copy of the Will attached.

But you will need your own representation.

I hope this makes sense and is of assistance.