Patrick H.
Patrick H., Lawyer
Experience:  Dip Law LPAB - Sydney based lawyer
61534878

We have been informed by Ph.a couple weeks ago & again this

Customer Question

We have been informed by Ph.a couple weeks ago & again this week by email that we are owed a refund of $3,852 for over charged Bank fees. the phone caller informed that we should send $$190to the ANZ banks solicitor so he can make the payment owed to me into my bank account. We should make our transaction into the account name of Herschel Le-Geois ANZ BSB 016-358 account No.458310-924. I have not followed it up as it sounded like a scam. The e-mail from a Giacomo Mccormick asking me to check payment details enclosed with message No.7CD6741RCC. doc to find out instructions to receive the transaction posted within one day. Once again I haven't pressed the contact button (small PD file) not sure if it's got a virus or not I haven't checked yet. How do I find out if we are entitled to a refund of bank fees & should I ask my bank for this info
Category: Australia Law
Expert:  Patrick H. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Yes it certainly sounds like a scam for a number of reasons.

- People do not usually required to be paid money in advance in order to pay a refund. That just doesn't make sense.

- If it was a refund of bank fees, then the bank would likely arrange the refund itself, not through a solicitor.

- If the refund is legitimate, your bank should know all about it.

I suggest you refer the matter to Scamwatch which is a government service which keeps track of scams and which may have knowledge of this particular scam.

https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/

Good luck and please rate my answer.

Patrick